Wednesday, August 31, 2011

and i quote.

Janet Fitch has said a lot of things in her lifetime. Here are my favorites among those things:

"How right that the body changed over time, becoming a gallery of scars, a canvas of experience, a testament to life and one's capacity to endure it." 

"Whenever she thought she could not feel more alone, the universe peeled back another layer of darkness." 

"That was what she really wanted. To forget so thoroughly she'd never have another memory again, the bitter so bitter you gave up the sweet." 

"This was the wonderful thing about strangers. they were big blank pieces of paper, you could draw watever you like on their impressionable surfaces." 

"And I realized as I walked through the neighborhood how each house could contain a completely different reality. In a single block, there could be fifty seperate worlds. Nobody ever really knew what was going on just next door. "  

"If sinners where so unhappy, why would they prefer their suffering?
But now I knew why. Without my wounds, who was I?" 

"What was the point in such loneliness among people. At least if you were by yourself, you had a good reason to be lonely."  

"The best you'll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way." 

"She should think about her own soul, what she was going to do with this funky tattered pond dank item. Dark and stained, a ruined thing." 

3 comments:

Baby Sister said...

I especially liked the stranger and neighborhood ones. :)

April said...

Thank you for sharing these. Love them!!

~BB~ said...

I Adore Janet Fitch!! Paint it Black is one of my all-time favorite books. Thanks for sharing!!