Wednesday, November 21, 2012

thankful.

As much as I love the holidays and everything that comes with them,
(decorations, music, food, traditions)
part of me really doesn't like the holidays at all.
They kind of depress me. They always make me feel a little lonely.
 
I remember when I was about... 6 or 7(?)
It was around Christmas time and I just got done helping my mom stuff envelopes with Chirstmas cards. I went over to the window after to see the snow fall and I remember feeling really, really sad to the point where I almost cried.
I felt this way because as I watched the snow fall, I remember thinking and worrying about all the families who didn't have shelter or all the people who didn't have a family... basically everyone who wasn't fortunate enough to have a loving family and a warm place to live and sleep.
 
I have no idea why this was such a worry of mine when I was 6/7 aroud Christmas time haha I guess I've alway been a worrier.
 
To this day, those same thoughts I had that night still come up every holiday and make me sad. We donated some stuff to the Road Home last Christmas and was great to help all the homeless people in need. So this year I'm planning on doing a "Sub for Santa" and as much help I can so I can at least enjoy the holiday season without feeling sad for the less fortunate.
 
So even though the holidays can be stressful and busy... I am thankful for them because it reminds me to really put my own life, wants/needs, problems, etc into perspective and that it's not always about what you DON'T have, it's you need to be thankful for what you DO have.

3 comments:

Baby Sister said...

My favorite Christmas memories are when we've been able to help others. I love the feeling it brings into our hearts. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Erin said...

I really liked this post. Every Christmas I like to pick out items for elderly people and young children at the local mall Christmas tree. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Erin

Katie said...

it is hard to think of all the people who are less fortunate - and i feel so spoiled sitting here, on my computer, by the fire, when they don't even have enough money for a meal. thanks for this post! Happy Thanksgiving.