Wednesday, June 22, 2011

two summers.

Remember how Summer was the ultimate highlight of the entire year when you were a kid? How all plans and activities revolved around those two and half short months when you didn't have to be trapped at school? After living for twenty-one summers, I've realized I've only had two summers. My childhood summers and adulthood summers.

My summer as a kid was:
+running through sprinklers
+playing kickball
+swimming during the day
+night games with the kids in the neighborhood
+staying up really late and sleeping in late the next day
+eating endless popcicles
+laying in the shade in my front yard with my first BFF.
+sneaking out
+water fights
+crying because someone threw a water balloon a little too hard and a little hard to my face.
+standing barefoot in the street when it was BURNING HOT to see who can stand on it the longest. Ouchie.
+getting a mouthful of water and see who can keep it in the longest without laughing. I always lost first. Surprise, surprise.
+making "scary" home videos with my sisters and neighborhood friends
+watching the "scary" movies and witnessing how non-scary they actually were
+going for very very very VERY long bike rides
+mowing the lawn
+complain about mowing the lawn
+going up to the cabin

My summers now:
+wake up early, go to work
+work
+come home from work

Sigh.  I'll take the first list, please because the second list is as fun as watching someone else watch someone else alphabetize a movie collection that only has seven movies in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I am still a kid and I don't have that, haha! Sounds pretty awesome, I need to get some water balloons... ;)

Baby Sister said...

Yeah, I LOVED night games!! I want the first summer back too...

S said...

You nailed both lists right on the head.
p.s. my movie collection is more than 7 movies and it is categorized by genre right now (I get bored and change it every week!)